Monday, August 24, 2009

College. Again.

12 years ago I failed out of UNH because I discovered that I was really good at, and felt the need to do more than anything else, drinking large amounts of alcohol. I bounced around from job to job until I ran out of gas 7 years ago. Big thanks to Mum & Dad for helping me get out of that rut. I've always viewed my non-degree status as one of my largest personal failures.

It's also interesting to note that I have yet to achieve sober the same salary I made when I was a drunk.

I have a very eclectic skill set and when I combine that with no degree, it makes it really hard to position myself well for potential employers. Sure, I might be really good for them, but in this economy they're unlikely to take a chance on a guy who's been out of the engineering game as long as I. So, since the jobs are scarce and mine seems fairly stable at the moment, I figured it was a good time to go back to school. I've been looking for over a year now for something, and I found it.

I enrolled at NHTI in Concord, and today was accepted into the Animation and Graphic Game Programming Associate's degree program. I don't need a full-blown B.S. degree right now, just a bit of re-positioning to mold my various skills into a semi-coherent and marketable package. The classes are at night, the faculty seems qualified, and recent graduates have secured jobs at various game houses in the Boston area - where I'd like to move to in the next few years.

So I'm in college. Again. But this time around, I'm the old (and sober) guy in the back.

No comments: